We have a network of 750 volunteers across the UK, all playing an important part in delivering change for people in Africa.
There are many ways you can give your time and help support our training projects abroad. Here are some ideas to get you started.
• Sort out your old tools and sewing machines – The perfect rainy day activity, have a rummage and unearth your unwanted tools and haberdashery items which Tools for Self Reliance could refurbish or use to raise vital project funds. A full list of hand tools, electric sewing machines, haberdashery items and power tools that trades people need can be found here.
• Connect with us – You can sign up to receive regular e-newsletter and stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Read, watch and enjoy stories and news of the incredibly powerful impact you are having on empowering people in Africa to end a life in poverty.
• Give a Gift for Change – Are you struggling to find an original birthday or anniversary present for a loved one? Perhaps you are buying for the person who already has everything? Purchase a space-saving, life-changing virtual gift! Your thoughtful gesture will help fund tools and training and make a real difference to a young person building a livelihood in Africa.
• Set up a regular gift – Your kind regular monthly, quarterly or annual donations will ensure that we can continue to support vulnerable trainees in Africa who will need an opportunity to earn a sustainable livelihood more than ever after the coronavirus pandemic has settled. Click here to get started.
• Challenge yourself – What will people sponsor you to do? Whether you walk, run, dance, jump, swim, canoe or climb… link your fundraising activity to our JustGiving page and ask people to sponsor you £1 for every step, lap, meter, mile, kilometre, hour or day you do!
• Hold an event – Anyone for tea? Join in our celebrations of the nation’s favourite leaf-based beverage with our #TeaForTools fundraising event between Monday 1st May and Friday 30th June 2023. Gather up your tea cups and get creative with the cake toppings, then invite your friends and family and ask for donations to raise money for our training projects abroad. Don’t forget, your donations to TeaForTools will be matched by the Dalgleish Trust, making your gift go twice as far! Contact email@example.com for more info or a fundraising pack.
• Become a volunteer collector – We have volunteers all around the UK, who accept and collect tool donations from people in their area, then make these donations available to our regional refurbishing groups. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer collector of tools and/or sewing machines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tell us your ideas– As we all will rely more and more on digital communications to stay in touch over the next we want to know what you want to hear from us. Would you like fun quizzes to do to test your knowledge on tools, sewing machines and the geography of Africa? Do you enjoy videos from the workshop of ‘How to’ guides? We want to hear from you!